Plenty of people have mailed me with the request to port Mystic Mine to some platform X (because that would be really cool!). Or to distribute Mystic Mine where it’s currently not available. But the sad truth is that I can’t put much energy in Mystic Mine because I’m focussing on RPG Playground. I feel sad about this, because it would indeed be cool if Mystic Mine received more attention.
Therefore I decided to release Mystic Mine as Open Source, both the source code and as much content as possible. All source code and content is now released under the MIT license at https://github.com/koonsolo/MysticMine. This includes:
- All source code (mainly written in python)
- All graphics (Blender 3D and Gimp files included)
Unfortunately the music and sound of the original game were bought under a royalty free license, and so they cannot be distributed here. Currently all those files are silent. I hope someone can find a proper replacement for these sounds and music files, so that the Open Source release of Mystic Mine becomes a complete game.
Commercially I don’t have much to gain from this, but there’s a huge list of things that would make me very happy:
- My fans creating their own levels (There’s an ingame level editor that my friends and I used to create all those levels. Check the sources for hidden keyboard shortcuts).
- Modifications, adaptions and improvements that I would never have thought of myself.
- ‘sudo aptitute install mysticmine’
- Mystic Mine running on all kinds of different platforms.
- The Open Source community receiving something back from me. As you probably know I’m a huge fan of Open Source. Mystic Mine was created on Linux using python, pygame, gVim, Blender 3D, The Gimp, Audacity, … . After receiving so much, it makes me happy to give something small back.
You can find all files at https://github.com/koonsolo/MysticMine.
Enjoy, and have fun! (and tell all your friends :))
P.S.: The fastest and easiest way to make your own games is with http://rpgplayground.com!